Guide Location: Switzerland » Basel
Guide Type: Self-guided city tour
# of Attractions: 9
Tour Duration: 1 hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.9 km
Image Courtesy of Flickr and ritsch48
Basel, one of the most modern cities in Switzerland, is consequently also a top-notch shopping location. The city combines a great selection of the country's traditional products along with souvenirs and other memorabilia sure to please the tourists. So if you're looking for a fantastic new gift, what's to stop you from visiting one of the many outstanding shops in Basel?
Tour Stops and Attractions
1) HeimatwerkSchweizer Heimatwerk, or "Swiss Home Work", is the ideal venue for craftsmanship and souvenirs of the highest quality. Produced by local hands, Heimatwerk features a terrific selection that is sure to provide something for all ages and personalities. The variety of goods, from the music boxes to the clothes and jewelery, wear the spirit and traditional touch of Switzerland.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and knickinoptik
2) Basel MarketBasel Market is located directly in the center of the city and is easily the busiest place any time of the year. The goods sold in the market include a huge variety of food - fruit, vegetables, sweets, cheese and meat. Due to the progressing promotion of the healthy lifestyle, Basel Market also focuses on the production and selling of organic food. During Christmas, the market also transforms into the most popular winter holiday shopping venue in the country.
Operation Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Friday 8.30 am - 7 pm; Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday: 8.30 am - 1.30 pm;
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Philip Larson
3) Confiserie SchiesserConfiserie Schiesser is a famous sweet shop that has produced chocolates, cakes and other pastries since 1870. The store was established by Rudolf Schiesser, co-founder of the Conditoren association and an avid fan of sweets. The shop also offers a tea room where visitors may enjoy a fresh cup of their favorite delight.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and sjdunphy
4) Chronometrie Spinnler & SchweizerChronometrie Spinnler & Schweizer is a specialized shop that has sold watches and other jewelery items since 1920. Today, the business is led by Hans Robert Spinnler and Roger Schweizer, third generational family owners. The shop, beside selling famous jewelery, also offers visitors the rare opportunity to observe local watchmakers at work.
Operation Hours: Monday: 1.30 pm - 6.15 pm; Tuesday - Friday: 9 am - 6.15 pm ; Saturday: 9 am - 5 pm;
Image Courtesy of Flickr and bogenfreund
5) Gschänggli Butygg zem BaselstabGschänggli Butygg zem Baselstab is a souvenir shop located in the heart of the city. It is a perfect spot for visitors to choose gifts for friends and relatives. Gschänggli Butygg zem Baselstab offers a wide choice of products with the city's symbols and name printed on the piece. Additionally, tourists may buy mugs, magnets and T-shirts.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Jason Pratt
6) Läckerli HuusLäckerli Huus is a very popular specialty shop which features a stellar reputation and high quality goods. Populated often by tourists, Läckerli Huus provides some of the best Swiss sweets, including gelée russe, toffees, biscuits, wafer rolls, caramels and chocolates. All items sold are wrapped in beautiful tins or other prized possessions.
Operation Hours: Monday - Wednesday: 8 am - 6.30 pm; Thursday - Friday: 8 am - 8 pm; Saturday: 8 am - 6 pm;
Image Courtesy of Flickr and blende6
7) BuchererCarl-Friedrich Bucherer, a prosperous businessman. opened Bucherer in 1888. Since that time, Bucherer has developed into one of the most successful brands in the world. The current catalog includes approximately 50,000 qualitative and prestigious items, with the dominant focus placed on its famous watches. Rolex, Cartier, Omega and Chopard are all carried here as well.
Operation Hours: Monday - Friday: 9.30 am - 6.30 pm; Saturday: 9.30 am - 5 pm;
Image Courtesy of Flickr and hypo.physe
8) Raphael BlechschmidtRaphael Blechschmidt is a boutique, owned by a very famous and popular Swiss fashion designer. Raphael Blechschmidt work is on constant display. His quality fabrics and unique designs make his line very coveted and is a must-visit for fashion lovers.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Simon Law
9) Antiquités M. & G. SégalAntiquités Ségal is located in the center of Basel and focuses on the retail of antiquities, including furniture, tableware, paintings, jewelery and souvenirs. All the items sold date back to the 17th and 18th centuries. The shop first opened in 1870 and has since sported a nearly flawless reputation and long list of satisfied clients.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and violet monde
Out of the Ordinary Trips in Switzerland