Berkeley Landmarks Tour, Berkeley

Berkeley Landmarks Tour, Berkeley
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Marisa Brandt
This self-guided walking tour is included in the iOS app "GPSmyCity: Walks and Articles with Offline Maps" on iTunes App Store and the Android app "Berkeley Map and Walks" on Google Play.
iOS City Maps and Walks app   Android City Maps and Walks app
Berkeley is famous for the amount of wonderful structures it has listed in the National Register of Historic Places. Churches, old private houses, buildings of historical importance and other impressive edifices are all representative of Berkley’s architectural beauty.

Berkeley Landmarks Tour - Route Map

Guide Name: Berkeley Landmarks Tour
Guide Location: USA » Berkeley
Guide Type: Self-guided Walking Tour (Sightseeing)
# of Attractions: 11
Tour Duration: 3 hour(s)
Travel Distance: 6.2 km
Author: AudreyB
Thorsen House

1) Thorsen House

The William R. Thorsen House, often referred to as the Thorsen House, was built in 1909 in Berkeley, California by William Randolph and Caroline Canfield Thorsen. Designed by Henry and Charles Greene, in the American Craftsman style of the Arts and Crafts Movement, the House is considered as the last of four Greene & Greene designed ultimate bungalows and is the only one located in Northern California.

The Thorsen House can be toured throughout the week on an informal basis. Visitors...   view more
Image Courtesy of Flickr and © B. Kim Barnes
Sight description based on wikipedia
First Church of Christ, Scientist

2) First Church of Christ, Scientist

Designated a National Landmark, the First Church of Christ, Scientist, built in 1910, was designed by Bernard Maybeck. Featuring Romanesque, Byzantine and Gothic styles, it is acknowledged as Maybeck's architectural masterpiece. This church preserves its original impressive appearance created by the natural colors of the roof and pillars, the ornaments and stencil work, and the translucent...   view more
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Coro
Berkeley City Club

3) Berkeley City Club

The Berkeley City Club, formerly known as the Berkeley Women's City Club, was organized by women in 1927, to contribute to social, civic, and cultural progress. It is no longer restricted to women, and is available to the public at large for weddings and other occasions.

The building, constructed in 1929, is one of the outstanding works of noted California architect Julia Morgan, whose interpretation of Moorish and Gothic elements created a landmark of California design. It is registered...   view more
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Sanfranman59
Sight description based on wikipedia
Corder Building

4) Corder Building

The Corder Building, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, is located on Shattuck Avenue between Bancroft Way and Durant Avenue. Built in 1921, designed by James W. Plachek, this warm sand colored landmark with white columns and balconies is also notable for its fine white...   view more
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Sanfranman59
Tupper and Reed Building

5) Tupper and Reed Building

The Tupper and Reed Building was erected in 1906 to house John Tupper and Lawrence Reed's music store. Located on Shattuck Ave, this building was designed by William Raymond Yelland in his storybook house style. Built from brick and wood, it features balconies, a fireplace, impressive adornments and an iron cutout of this landmark building’s...   view more
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Sanfranman59
Chamber of Commerce Building

6) Chamber of Commerce Building

The Berkeley Chamber of Commerce Building, with twelve stories, was the tallest structure of its kind at the time in which it was built. Designed by Walter H. Ratcliff, Jr., it has housed the Chamber of Commerce, American Trust Bank, and today houses Wells Fargo Bank. It is notable for its brick design, excluding the ground and top...   view more
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Sanfranman59
Normandy Village

7) Normandy Village

Also known as Thornburg Village, Normandy Village is a Berkeley landmark home to unique apartment buildings designed by Jack Wood Thornburg. Its former architect was William Raymond Yelland, known for his storybook design. Erected in 1927, each building has its own history. Today, Normandy Village is designated a City of Berkeley...   view more
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Ken Osborn
Grace North Church

8) Grace North Church

Grace North Church, located in the same building as North Berkeley Congregational Church, like many other city structures, was designed by James W. Plachek in 1913. Built in a non-traditional style, its four columns, impressive windows and roof make this church on Cedar Street a notable Berkley...   view more
Image Courtesy of Flickr and jzitt
Captain Charles C. Boudrow House

9) Captain Charles C. Boudrow House

Built in 1889 for Charles C. Boudrow, a shipping magnate, this house was designed in the Queen Anne-Eastlake style by Julius E. Krafft. Constructed of redwood, featuring many adornments including various friezes, gables and rich ornaments on its facade, this impressive architectural landmark also has columns and...   view more
Image Courtesy of Flickr and greatlettuce
Cloyne Court Hotel

10) Cloyne Court Hotel

The Cloyne Court Hotel, often referred to simply as Cloyne, is a student housing cooperative.

The BSC is now the largest housing co-op organization in North America and Cloyne is one of the biggest cooperative houses in the country with 150 residents. Despite its size the house was entirely student-run for nearly sixty years. This changed in July 2005, when the co-op was forced to hire a live-in manager in order to renew the property lease with the University.

Cloyne Court has played a...   view more
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and BrokenSphere
Sight description based on wikipedia
Temple of Wings

11) Temple of Wings

The Temple of Wings, located on the Berkeley hillside, was built in a Greco-Roman style as the house and dance studio of Florence Treadwell Boynton. Designed from the sketches of Bernard Maybeck in 1911, as well as with input from such architects as A. Randolph Monroe, Edna Deakin and Clarence Dakin, the Temple of Wings was considered the Athens of the West at the turn of the 20th century. The landing in front of the temple also offers a beautiful view of...   view more
Image Courtesy of Flickr and swoodie

GPSMYCITY Inc

Self-guided walking tours apps on iOS and Android for exploring cities on foot - they make bus tours obsolete!
© 2017 GPSMYCITY Inc. All Rights Reserved.