Downtown Limerick Tour, Limerick

Downtown Limerick Tour, Limerick
Image Courtesy of Flickr and johntrainor
This self-guided walking tour is included in the iOS app " City Maps and Walks (470+ Cities)" in iTunes and the Android app "Limerick Map and Walks" in Google Play.

Download City Maps Application

iPhone City Maps and Walks app   Download Android App
As a city that dates back to pre-Viking times, Limerick has seen its fortunes rise and fall many times over the course of more than a millennium. Today, the city retains a rich heritage of beautiful buildings that highlight some of the different times and styles Limerick has seen. Take our Downtown Tour to see the top attractions of central Limerick.

Downtown Limerick Tour - Route Map

Guide Name: Downtown Limerick Tour
Guide Location: Ireland » Limerick
Guide Type: Self -guided Walking Tour (Sightseeing)
# of Attractions: 8
Tour Duration: 2 hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.6 km
Author: alice
Sarsfield Memorial Statue

1) Sarsfield Memorial Statue

The Sarsfield Memorial Statue honors General Patrick Sarsfield, who is famous for defending Limerick when it was under siege in the 1690s. This impressive statue by John Lawlor is more than 120 years...
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and anonymous, Irish School
Limerick Printmakers Studio and Gallery

2) Limerick Printmakers Studio and Gallery

The Limerick Printmakers Studio and Gallery offers space for about 40 local artists to create and exhibit their artworks. The gallery holds exhibitions every month, with several international exhibitions each year.

Operation hours: Tuesday - Friday: 11 am – 5:30 pm; Saturday: 10 am – 4...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Maryse Casol
The Granary

3) The Granary

Located in the very center of Limerick overlooking the Abbey River, the Granary is one of the most popular landmarks in the city. This building is a former warehouse that was built in 1787 by local merchant Philip John Roche. Today it houses the Trinity Rooms, the City Library as well as office...
Image Courtesy of www.nosoloviajeros.com
Mathew Bridge

4) Mathew Bridge

The Mathew Bridge is dedicated to Fr. Theobald Mathew, who is famous for establishing the temperance movement. Designed by William Henshaw, the bridge was built in 1846 on the site of an older...
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Roland Czaczyk
Hunt Museum

5) Hunt Museum

The Hunt Museum is holding a personal collection donated by the Hunt family, it was originally situated in the University of Limerick, before being moved to its present location in 1997. It can now be visited in the old custom house, an historic 18th century building. The east end of Limerick's quays began at this area of the river, recently made home to a marina.

The Customs House is regarded as the most distinguished 18th century building in Limerick. It is an elegant Palladian-style...
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Roland Czaczyk
Sight description based on wikipedia
1916 Memorial

6) 1916 Memorial

The Sarsfield Bridge Monument commemorates the 1916 Rising and is located on the bridge just above the Limerick Rowing Club building.

An earlier monument on this site was a statue of Viscount Fitzgibbon, who was killed in The Charge of the Light Brigade at Balaclava in 1854, flanked by two Russian cannon captured in the Crimean War. This statue was blown up by the Irish Republican Army in 1930. The War of Independence memorial is located at the northern end of the bridge, commemorating two...
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Sean an Scuab
Sight description based on wikipedia
Sarsfield Bridge

7) Sarsfield Bridge

The second of Limerick's River Shannon crossings is now called Sarsfield Bridge, to commemorate Patrick Sarsfield, the Earl of Lucan, who is renowned in Limerick for his role in the Williamite War and the 1691 siege and Treaty of Limerick in particular. The bridge was opened as Wellesley Bridge on 5 August 1835, following 11 years of construction. It was a particularly important development for the city as it allowed expansion to the northern shore of the river.

The bridge itself...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Alexander C. Abad
Sight description based on wikipedia
Church of the Holy Rosary

8) Church of the Holy Rosary

Built in 1950, the Church of the Holy Rosary was made out of wood because it was intended only as a temporary structure. Nevertheless, it still stands today in good condition. The church has been ornamented by well-known contemporary artists like Evie Hone, Oisin Kelly, Imogen Stuart and...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and cliff1066™

GPSMYCITY Inc

Self-guided walking tours apps on iOS and Android for exploring cities on foot - they make bus tours obsolete!
© 2016 GPSMYCITY Inc. All Rights Reserved.