Guide Location: Turkey » Izmir
Guide Type: Self-guided city tour
# of Attractions: 9
Tour Duration: 2 hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.6 km
Image Courtesy of Flickr and -Patxi Izkue-
Izmir has a phenomenal history of 3500 years full of events, people and culture. However, quite possibly the greatest historical sights in the city are found in the famous mosques. Most of these mosques are old and especially beautiful as architectural structures. Thus, while in Izmir you should take some time out of your schedule to visit these sacred religious structures.
Tour Stops and Attractions
1) Hisar MosqueHisar Mosque is truly a magnificent sight and for good reason. Hisar is believed to be the oldest and biggest mosque in Izmir. The gorgeous structure was built by Yakup Bey in 1592 and has been renovated several times since. The mosque features a central dome, amazing ornaments and decorations as well as a very beautiful courtyard with several domes surrounding it. All in all, Hisar shares the classical features of an Ottoman...
Image Courtesy of Wikimedia and Mr. Vehbi Moğol
2) Şadırvan CamisiŞadırvan Camisi is a very beautiful mosque that was built in 1636 (and later renovated in 1815). The structure is finished in stone, and also includes an amazing central dome, fantastic decorations and marble pulpit. The mosque was also built in a classical ottoman style. In 1906. Şadırvan Camisi’s dome was the biggest in the...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and aey3
3) Kestanepazarı CamiiKestanepazarı Camii was built in the 17th century. It is made of stone, offers two levels and also features a beautiful main dome. Kestanepazarı mosque also has a beautiful decorated interior and a round minaret with a single...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Alaskan Dude
4) Başdurak CamiiBaşdurak Camii was built by Hacı Hüseyin in the 17th century. It is a very beautiful structure, located in Kemeraltı. The religious structure is composed of stone and includes some amazing floral decorations (both interior and exterior). Make sure you also admire the beautiful mosaics and marble pulpit. Başdurak Camii is the oldest mosque within the inner harbor and also provides a...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Alexandre Moreau Photography
5) Kemeraltı CamiiKemeraltı Camii is another very beautiful structure located within Kameralti Market. It was built in the 18th century and constructed with stone. The actually building is incredibly beautiful, with fantastic interior design, domes, stone pulpit as well as a round minaret with...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and zskdan
6) Konak (Yalı) CamisiKonak (Yalı) Camisi is located in Konak Square. The religious structure was built in the 18th century by Ayse Hanim – the pasha’s daughter. Architecturally, Konak (Yalı) Camisi is a very beautiful octagonal structure composed in a classical ottoman style of stone and bricks. Konak also features some amazing ornaments inside as well as outside, a single dome and a minaret. It is located near Saat Kulesi (Clock Tower), a very popular local...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and F H Mira
7) Ali Ağa CamisiAli Ağa Camisi is yet another religious sight with a very beautiful and interesting composition. The center was built in 1672 by Gediz Ali Agha. Ali Ağa Camisi is square in shape and offers a single dome as well as a beautiful minaret made of...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and zskdan
8) Salepçioğlu CamiiSalepçioğlu Camii was built in 1906. It's primary feature is a square prayer hall covered with a dome decorated in pen work. Inside, Salepçioğlu Camii also features brilliant ornaments made in red, green and brown. The marble pulpit is decorated with geometric patterns. Outside it is decorated with marble and green...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Nejdet Düzen
9) İki Çeşmelik Camisiİki Çeşmelik Camisi is believed to be from the 19th century and features four columns and piers with a beautiful dome in the interior. The pulpit of İki Çeşmelik Camisi is made of wood. The minaret of the mosque has a single balcony and is made of...
Image Courtesy of Flickr and (¯`•.¸¸.¤*¨¨*¤.๑۩۩۩๑Zey neeep!
Out of the Ordinary Trips in Turkey