The High Synagogue in the Jewish Quarter was built in 1568 next to the Jewish Town Hall. It was financed by Mordechai Maisel, a philanthropist and one of the richest men in Prague.
Built next to the Jewish Town Hall, the synagogue was a place of preaching for the councillors of the Town Hall and also where the Rabbinic Court was held. The name came from the fact that the prayer hall is found on the 1st floor of the building.
In 1689 the synagogue was destroyed in the Great Fire, but was... view more