Guide Location: Kenya » Nairobi
Guide Type: Self-guided city tour
# of Attractions: 5
Tour Duration: 1 hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.6 km
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Shared Interest
Nairobi is a magnificent city that is notable for its great number of small and pretty shops, large markets and shopping centers. Africans have a very rich culture and long traditions. Their art and handicraft are really fascinating because of their brightness and singularity: colored bags, handmade jewelry, bead work, soapstone and black wood artifacts, all contribute to the wealth of craftsmanship. Take a look at Nairobi most visited shops in the next tour:
Tour Stops and Attractions
1) City MarketCity Market is a covered market located in the Central Business District. This place is a favorite both with local people and tourists. Here, you will find everything you need - fresh fruit, vegetables and verdure, beautiful flowers, newspapers, clothes, accessories, and fascinating local handicraft such as pretty Masai jewelry, woodcarving, national musical instruments, colored wraps and bright fabrics. And all this at bargain prices.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and Andy Price
2) Gallery WatatuIf you are fond of art, especially if it is unusual and eccentric, you are welcome to Gallery Watatu. This gallery specializes in modern African art. The gallery is situated in the heart of Nairobi, on the first floor of a skyscraper named Lonrho House. Here, you will find the work of famous African artists and young painters as well. Many of the paintings are for sale, so you can take home a piece of Africa with you.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and babasteve
3) Book VillaNairobi is a very attractive city. If you are hungry for information and need some food for your mind, Book Villa is a must visit place. Here, you will find a great variety of new and secondhand books and magazines. You can buy both world famous authors and African authors popular among the locals. The staff is quite friendly and always willing to help you find the book you are looking for. You are sure to find something interesting either for yourself or for your friends back home.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and sleepyneko
4) Zanzibar Curio ShopIt is the oldest shop of curiosities in the city. The shop offers a great choice of local crafts. Africans have a very rich culture and are skilled craftsmen. You can take a look at their beautiful local clothes, wickers, soapstone figurines, local semi-precious stones, hand-made beads and many other nice things. The staff is always very friendly and helpful. Zanzibar Curio Shop is one the best places in the city with original artifacts, exclusive gifts and curiosities.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and advencap
5) Masai MarketA wonderful place that impresses mainly with its brightness and colors. Every Tuesday art works of the Masai tribe are sold here. Charming bead work, colored Masai wraps, jewelry, African statuettes made of black wood and many other fascinating things you can buy as a gift or souvenir. But you should remember that Masai goods are usually overpriced and that you should bargain with the sellers.
Image Courtesy of Flickr and khym54
Out of the Ordinary Trips in Kenya