Honolulu Hale, Honolulu (must see)
Honolulu Hale is the official seat of government for the city and county of Honolulu. Originally, Honolulu was overseen by a Board of Supervisors. During the existence of the County of O'ahu, the Board met in city halls all around Honolulu. When this system was discontinued in 1907, Joseph J. Fern was created the Mayor of the City & County of Honolulu. He envisioned a central building for government administrative activities, but passed away before the building he imagined could be constructed. Fortunately, his successor, Mayor John H. Wilson, agreed with his vision and carried it out.
Honolulu Hale was build in the Italianate Spanish Colonial Revival Style that was popular on Hawaii during the 20s. It was a labor of love for every big name architect in the area, including Robert Miller, Hart Wood, C.W. Dickey, and Rothwell, Kangeter, & Lester. The building itself was designed to mimic the Palazzo del Popolo in Florence, Italy. The interior décor includes hand-painted frescoes by Einar Peterson, and intricate stonework by Mario Valdastri. The word “Hale” translates to “house” in native Hawaiian. The name “Honolulu Hale” simply means “Honolulu House,” though it would be more correctly rendered as “Hale Honolulu.”