City Orientation Walk, Ann Arbor

City Orientation Walk, Ann Arbor
You can follow this self-guided walking tour to explore the attractions listed below. How it works: download the iOS app "GPSmyCity: Walks and Articles with Offline Maps" on iTunes App Store or the Android app "Ann Arbor Map and Walks" on Google Play. The app turns your mobile device into a personal tour guide and its built-in GPS navigation functions guide you from one tour stop to next. The app works offline so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.

Download City Maps Application

iOS City Maps and Walks app   Android City Maps and Walks app
Ann Arbor is a green "college town" that possesses a unique charm and atmosphere, and is pedestrian friendly as well. Abundance of historic and architectural landmarks in downtown Ann Arbor provide an unforgettable sightseeing experience. This self-guided tour lists beautiful and significant works of architecture built in different time periods, as well as the Nichols Arboretum recreation area operated by the University of Michigan.

City Orientation Walk Map

Guide Name: City Orientation Walk
Guide Location: USA » Ann Arbor (See other walking tours in Ann Arbor)
Guide Type: Self-guided Walking Tour (Sightseeing)
# of Attractions: 18
Tour Duration: 3 hour(s)
Travel Distance: 4.7 km
Author: Caroline
University of Michigan Museum of Art

1) University of Michigan Museum of Art (must see)

The museum started out as part of the Alumni Memorial Hall of the University of Michigan in 1910. It is situated at the conjunction of South State Street and South University Avenue. The University of Michigan Museum of Art collection grew due to gifts, thoughtful purchases and integrations. Memorial Hall was restored in 2008 and a modern annex named after the Maxine and Stuart Frankel and the Frankel Family donators was added in 2009. The construction of the wing doubled the exhibition space...   view more
Kelsey Museum of Archaeology

2) Kelsey Museum of Archaeology (must see)

The Kelsey Museum of Archaeology is another museum of the University of Michigan located on South State Street on the central campus of the University of Michigan. The museum foundation archaeological collection belonged to professor of Latin Francis W. Kelsey. It has resided in the Historic Newberry Hall built from 1888-1891. Kelsey Museum of Archaeology was started here in 1953. Today the museum collections are kept in the old Romanesque building and in the recently built William E. Upjohn...   view more
Nickels Arcade

3) Nickels Arcade

Nickels Arcade is a covered shopping spot downtown along State Street. These European- style shopping arcades constructed between 1915 and 1918 were planned by architect Hermann Pipp. The building architecture refers to Beaux Arts Classic and Art Deco styles. The State Street and Maynard Street façades feature terra cotta ornamental details. Nickels Arcade is an 80m long glass roofed pedestrian gallery flanked with merchant units. Today the arcade accommodates a lot of individual stores,...   view more
State Theater

4) State Theater

The State Theatre is an operational former movie palace. The theater's central location and distinctive green, yellow and red marquee have made it an icon of Ann Arbor's downtown.

The theater was designed by architect C. Howard Crane, who had also designed the Fox Theatre, and was built in 1942. The theater was owned and operated by the Butterfield Theater Company until the 1980s, when ownership was transferred to the George Kerasotes Corporation. In 1979, under GKC's...   view more
Sight description based on wikipedia
Michigan Theater

5) Michigan Theater

The Michigan Theater is a movie palace in Ann Arbor. It shows independent films, stage productions and musical concerts.

Designed by Detroit-based architect Maurice Finkel and built in 1928, the theater seats 1700 and features the theater's original 1927 Barton Theatre Pipe Organ, orchestra pit, stage, and elaborate architectural details. During a renovation in 1956, many of the original ornate designs were destroyed. After a period of low attendance, the theater was threatened with...   view more
Sight description based on wikipedia
Kempf House

6) Kempf House

This building known as Kempf House was designed by local master Arden Ballard and constructed in the middle of the 19th century in the heart of Ann Arbor. This Greek Revival Style House had been the residence of the Kempf family from 1888 to 1953. The structure features a portico entrance with four square columns supporting the triangular pediment. Now it’s a house-museum furnished with antique Victorian pieces and Kempf family belongings, as well as the city’s first grand piano of 1877. It...   view more
Weinmann Block

7) Weinmann Block

This old picturesque building was constructed for Michael Weinmann and John Gall in the late 1860s in central Ann Arbor. The ground floor of the historic building originally housed the meat market and the upper floor was the family residence. Weinmann Block exterior comprises many remarkable details like arched window pediments, bracketed cornice, shuttered windows, triangular roof pediments and a roundel window. Another featured element was decorative pressed sheet metal imitating cast iron or...   view more
First National Bank Building

8) First National Bank Building

First National Bank Building sits at the corner of South Main Street and West Liberty Street. It is the tallest high-rise of Ann Arbor, built in 1929. It is an example of Art Deco and Art Moderne architecture designed by native architects Paul Kasurin and Lynn Fry. It was constructed to accommodate Washtenaw County First Bank offices and retail units. The main constructional materials are steel and terra cotta. The main facades are finished with terra-cotta. It has a 10- storey corner tower and...   view more
Kerrytown Concert House

9) Kerrytown Concert House

The Concert House constructed in the middle of the 19th century is situated in the historic Kerrytown District of the city. For many years this historic Victorian house served as a residence for Ann Arbor families. Kerrytown Concert House opened in 1984. It is an intimate concert hall with 110 seats that hosts local and nationally reputed acts. The House also provides space for the rotating art exhibits. There is a gorgeous Steinway grand piano prized by performers in the region and in...   view more
University of Michigan Credit Union Building

10) University of Michigan Credit Union Building (must see)

This historic building housed Ann Arbor News newspaper headquarters until 2009. Today the building belongs to the University of Michigan Credit Union. It is located on the corner of Huron and Division Streets. It’s an art deco, three-storey grand building completed in 1936, according to plans by famous regional architect Albert Kahn, the author of a number of Ann Arbor’s significant structures. Ann Arbor News is about 90,000 sq. ft. Its exterior of neutral brown with splashes of bright color...   view more
First Baptist Church of Ann Arbor

11) First Baptist Church of Ann Arbor

First Baptist Church of Ann Arbor is located on East Huron Street opposite a multistorey building of the University of Michigan. This English Gothic Revival church with a seating capacity of 750, was planned and constructed in 1880 by efforts of congregation members. The church interior features hammer beams and balconies on each side descending to the front altar. The building became the third location of First Baptist Church, founded in 1828; the church is still in use...   view more
First Unitarian Church

12) First Unitarian Church

This old-looking church sits at the corner of East Huron Street and North State Street in downtown Ann Arbor. First Unitarian Church was built in 1882 according to the project of Donaldson and Meier. The Richardsonian Romanesque structure is a bright example of this architectural style common throughout the eastern United States. It features ashlar walls, cross-gabled roof, massive corner tower with four turrets, arched openings and portico entrances. The building was purchased and reconstructed...   view more
First United Methodist Church

13) First United Methodist Church

First United Methodist Church is at the edge of the University of Michigan Central Campus on South State Street. This building was constructed at the site of the original Methodist church of the 1860s that burned at the beginning of the 20th century. Famous regional architect Albert Kahn designed the new building for the church in 1940. It’s a Gothic Revival structure featuring lancet openings and a great lancet window above the entrance, gabbled roof and stone walls in finished Indiana...   view more
Burton Memorial Tower

14) Burton Memorial Tower

The Burton Memorial Tower is a clock tower located on Central Campus at the University of Michigan. Housing a grand carillon, the tower was built in 1936 as a memorial for University President Marion Leroy Burton. The grand carillon, one of only 23 in the world, is the world’s fourth heaviest, containing 55 bells and weighing a total of 43 tons.

The monument was constructed in 1935 and finished in 1936. It stands at 10 floors. It is located at the University of Michigan campus, and is used...   view more
Sight description based on wikipedia
Biomedical Science Research Building

15) Biomedical Science Research Building

Biomedical Science Research Building is situated on the northern edge of the University of Michigan’s central campus. This is a modern six-storey laboratory building of about 500,000 sq. ft. completed in 2006. The impressive research building, a research and teaching facility, employs high-end technologies both for structure and equipment. The most attractive feature of this complex structure is its central atrium that serves as a connecting transition. The structure has skin of terra cotta,...   view more
Detroit Observatory

16) Detroit Observatory

Detroit Observatory is located in northeast downtown Ann Arbor at the intersection of East Ann and Observatory Streets. This Greek Revival building is the work of Richard Harrison Bull. Built in 1854, it’s the oldest observatory in the country that holds the very first large telescope, 1857, constructed in the US. This extraordinary telescope, that is the third largest, was developed by Henry Fitz, a New York locksmith. A comprehensive restoration of the Detroit Observatory was done in 1999....   view more
Observatory Lodge

17) Observatory Lodge

Observatory Lodge that is part of the School of Kinesiology is situated on the east edge of the University Central Campus on the corner of Observatory Street and Washington Heights. The building was constructed in 1930. This eye-catching Tudor Revival-style building features turrets, oriel windows, timber-framing, a slate roof, copper gutters and downspouts, and stained-glass windows. Since its construction, Observatory Lodge has been used as an apartment building; it was purchased by the...   view more
Nichols Arboretum

18) Nichols Arboretum (must see)

Nichols Arboretum is directed by the University of Michigan. Hundreds of acres of Arboretum extend a few blocks east from University Central Campus. The arboretum and Matthaei Botanical Gardens were founded at the beginning of the century. Most of the vegetation was planted in the 1920s -1930s. A house at the entrance of the park, James Reader Center, is the administrative office of the Nichols Arboretum. There are acres and acres of grass and trees and flowers flanked with the Huron River on...   view more

GPSMYCITY Inc

Self-guided walking tours apps on iOS and Android for exploring cities on foot - they make bus tours obsolete!
© 2017 GPSMYCITY Inc. All Rights Reserved.