Article (A) guide: Football Trail

Football Trail
This article is featured in the app "GPSmyCity: Walks and Articles with Offline Maps" on iTunes App Store and Google Play. You can download the app to your mobile device to read the article offline and create a self-guided walking tour to visit the attractions featured in this article. The app turns your mobile device into a personal tour guide and it works offline so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.

Download City Maps Application

Download City Maps and Walks app for IOS   Download City Maps and Walks app for Android
Liverpool is the only city in England to have had a team playing top flight football in every season since the league began in 1888. It is also England's most successful football city, Liverpool and Everton between them have won 46 domestic and 9 European trophies. This trail takes you round the sights connected to the birth of the 2 clubs and their contribution not just to the local game but nationally and internationally as well.

Walk Route

Guide Name: Football Trail
Guide Location: England » Liverpool
Guide Type: Self-guided Walking Tour (Article (A))
# of Attractions: 11
Tour Duration: 3.0 hour(s)
Travel Distance: 5.8 km
Author: Steven Horton
Author Bio: I have lived in Liverpool all my life and been a supporter of Liverpool FC since 1978, attending the majority of games home, away and in Europe. However I am extremely proud that my city has two top flight clubs and of the contribution that Everton has made to the game.
Author Website: http://www.stevenhortonfreelancewriter.co.uk
Goodison Park, Everton FC

1) Goodison Park, Everton FC

Everton FC moved into Goodison Park in 1892, after spending the previous eight years playing at Anfield, now home of Liverpool FC. The move came about after the owner of Anfield, Everton board member John Houlding, raised the rent and most of the Everton organising committee decided to break away from him and secure a lease on a piece of land that was then called Mere Green.

When Goodison was opened on 24th August 1892 by FA president Lord Kinnaird, it was the first purpose built football...
George Mahon's home

2) George Mahon's home

86 Anfield Road was the home in 1892 of George Mahon, an accountant who was an instrumental figure in Everton FC's move away from Anfield.

Born in Ireland in 1853, he showed little interest in the game at first but after witnessing a match at Anfield in 1887 he was hooked and within two years had been elected to the Board. After John Houlding proposed to raise the rent at Anfield, Mahon called a Special General Meeting of Everton members in January 1892 in which he gave a rousing speech...
Dr Baxter's Home

3) Dr Baxter's Home

In 1892 Dr James Clement Baxter lived in 110 Robson Street and had a surgery nearby. He was well respected within the districts Irish community for his dedication to caring for his patients, long hours worked and willingness to donate money to help the poor. He was also the medical officer for the local orphanage in Beacon Lane and St Edwards College, which trained catholic priests. He was appointed to the Everton board in 1889 as medical advisor to Everton FC and when the move from Anfield...
The Kop, Liverpool FC

4) The Kop, Liverpool FC

Anfield became the home of the newly formed Liverpool FC in 1892, with the clubs first game being a friendly against Rotherham Town on 1st September. Liverpool won 7-1 in front of no more than a few hundred fans.

The Kop is by far the most famous part of the ground and arguably the most famous section of a stadium in world football, having since the 1960s been known for the passionate backing given to the team and the songs it has produced.

The Kop was first built in 1906 as a large...
Hillsborough Memorial & Shankly Gates

5) Hillsborough Memorial & Shankly Gates

The Hillsborough Memorial, containing an eternal flame and the names of all those who died, is in memory of the 96 Liverpool fans who perished at the 1989 FA Cup semi final at Hillsborough in Sheffield. It was as a result of the disaster that the Taylor Report was published, blaming a failure of police control and calling for all seater stadiums to be introduced. More than 20 years on families of the bereaved are still fighting for justice for their loved ones after a public inquiry recorded a...
John Houlding's Home

6) John Houlding's Home

This imposing property was built in 1873 and the home of brewer and councillor John Houlding, who became president of Everton FC in 1881 when they were playing on an open field in Stanley Park which he could see from the rear windows. In 1882 he arranged to rent a field off Priory Road from a Mr Cruitt, allowing the club to charge for admission. However they soon outgrew this and in 1884 Houlding secure the lease of Anfield from fellow brewer John Orrell , where he was able to construct basic...
Sandon Hotel

7) Sandon Hotel

This pub was owned by John Houlding, after whom the street running to the left of it is also named. When Anfield was first built it doubled as the changing rooms for the players, who would then walk through the crowds to the ground. Houlding also had an exclusive agreement to provide refreshments to players and supporters at the ground from the Sandon.

As the headquarters of Everton FC, it was in an upstairs room in the pub on 12th March 1892 that the majority of members of the Everton...
Site of St Domingo's Church

8) Site of St Domingo's Church

The flats you see now are on the site of St Domingo’s Methodist Church, which opened here in 1871 and was demolished in the early 1970s. It was in this church in 1878 that St Domingos FC was formed by the Reverend Ben Swift Chambers, who wanted a winter sports activity for his team of cricketers. In November 1879 the name was changed to Everton FC to reflect the wider district. The church’s connection with Everton did stay for some time though, with committee member George Mahon becoming the...
Our Lady of Immaculate

9) Our Lady of Immaculate

The original Our Lady Immaculate Church was built in 1856 on St Domingo Road and was intended to be the chapel for a catholic cathedral on the site, but this was never built and the chapel instead became a parish church. This was demolished in the mid 1980s after it was condemned as unsafe. Following this the parish centre, which you now see, was converted so that it could also be used for church services.

The funeral of Dr James Clement Baxter took place in Our Lady’s Immaculate after his...
Everton Roundhouse

10) Everton Roundhouse

The Everton Roundhouse is a village lock up dating from 1787, used for imprisoning drunks overnight or holding other prisoners before they appeared before a magistrate. The centre of the old village of Everton used to be situated around the slopes surrounding the lock up.

In 1938 Everton’s secretary Theo Kelly was asked to design a neck tie for the club and after 4 months of pondering, decided on including the roundhouse, as it was one of the symbols of the ancient village of Everton. Two...
Liverpool College

11) Liverpool College

This building, now converted into apartments, was home to Liverpool College, which is now situated in Aigburth in the south of the city, between 1843 and 1907. John Houlding was a pupil here, as was Will Cuff, a solicitor who was also secretary of Everton and in 1909 arranged to take them on tour to South America, the first visit there by a professional football club. He was later President of the Football League between 1938 and 1949.

It was in the lecture room of Liverpool College that a...

GPSMYCITY Inc

Self-guided walking tours apps on iOS and Android for exploring cities on foot - they make bus tours obsolete!
© 2017 GPSMYCITY Inc. All Rights Reserved.