Oviedo Introduction Walk (Self Guided), Oviedo

Tucked between the Cantabrian Mountains and the Bay of Biscay in the north of Spain, Oviedo - capital of the Asturias province - is renowned for its medieval old town, home to the historic Gothic cathedral, museums, convent, and numerous plazas. To explore them all in detail, follow this orientation tour and get an in-depth experience of Oviedo!
How it works: Download the app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play to your mobile phone or tablet. The app turns your mobile device into a personal tour guide and its built-in GPS navigation functions guide you from one tour stop to next. The app works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.

Download The GPSmyCity App

Download 'GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities' app for IOS   Download 'GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities' app for Android

Oviedo Introduction Walk Map

Guide Name: Oviedo Introduction Walk
Guide Location: Spain » Oviedo (See other walking tours in Oviedo)
Guide Type: Self-guided Walking Tour (Sightseeing)
# of Attractions: 18
Tour Duration: 3 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.2 Km or 2 Miles
Author: Xena
Sight(s) Featured in This Guide:
  • Cathedral of San Salvador
  • La Regenta
  • Palacio de Valdecarzana-Heredia
  • Plaza Porlier De Oviedo
  • Casa de los Campomanes
  • Monasterio de San Pelayo
  • Muralla medieval de Oviedo
  • Plaza de Feijóo
  • Casa del Deán Payarinos
  • Casona de Regla
  • Museo de Bellas Artes de Asturias
  • Plaza de la Constitución
  • Plaza del Fontán
  • Vendedoras del Fontán
  • Edificio de la Junta General del Principado des Asturias
  • Campo de San Francisco
  • Plaza de España
  • Calle Uria
1
Cathedral of San Salvador

1) Cathedral of San Salvador (must see)

The Metropolitan Cathedral Basilica of the Holy Saviour or Cathedral of San Salvador is a Roman Catholic cathedral and minor basilica in the centre of Oviedo. The cathedral displays an array of architectural styles, from Pre-Romanesque to Baroque, including Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance parts. It began as a large Pre-Romanesque basilica in the present location of the Gothic cathedral, but nothing more is known about that first building, built by order of King Alfonso II of Asturias. The Cathedral was founded by King Fruela I of Asturias in 781 AD, and enlarged in 802 by his son Alfonso II of Asturias known as Alfonso the Chaste, who made Oviedo the capital of Kingdom of Asturias, and resided in Oviedo with his court. Some Romanesque features, such as the Southern Tower, or the upper part of the Holy Chamber, include a fantastic collection of Romanesque column-statues. The cathedral of San Salvador is mainly a fine Gothic building, which was built between 14th and 16th centuries in a Classic and Flamboyant Style. The Chapter Room, whose construction started in 1388, was the first part of the new Gothic cathedral to be finished: built in a classic Gothic fashion (including a great eight-sided dome), it was followed by the cloister and the choir (ca. 1400). The naves were built once the choir was finished, all through the 15th century. We can admire the progression of the constructive stages, taking as an example the tracery of windows and tryphorium. The sanctuary is still a classical-Gothic work, whereas the naves present typical flame-like elements typical of a late-Gothic style. The latest medieval part, the narthex, was designed by Juan de Badajoz, whose original project included a double-towered facade (though due to financial issues, only a tower was built). The altarpiece at the end of the choir, is also a great work of sculpture and painting in Renaissance, perhaps one of the best of its kind in Spain. The major restoration of the cathedral complex was initiated with preliminary studies in 1995 at the request of the Principality of Asturias. Under the sponsorship of the Spanish National Plan for Cathedrals (Spanish: Plan National de Catedrales), the complex was restored from 1998 to 2002 for a total budget of €764,623.55.
Sight description based on wikipedia
2
La Regenta

2) La Regenta

La Regenta statue was installed in the Cathedral Square in 1997. It depicts Ana, the main heroine of the realist novel “La Regenta” by Spanish author Leopoldo Alas y Ureña. The statue was created by Mauro Álvarez and delights with its realism and meticulous attention to details.
Sight description based on wikipedia
3
Palacio de Valdecarzana-Heredia

3) Palacio de Valdecarzana-Heredia

Palacio de Valdecarzana-Heredia is located in the Plaza de la Catedral. The original building was constructed in the middle of the 17th century by Don Diego de Miranda. This palace represents an example of pure Baroque style. Its three storey structure is very sober and consists of simple lines, creating a firm impression of stability. The second floor windows are decorated with wrought iron balconies. The main entrance is crowned by coat of arms, depicting a warrior defeating the beast.
4
Plaza Porlier De Oviedo

4) Plaza Porlier De Oviedo

Plaza Porlier De Oviedo is a beautiful square in the center of Oviedo, right next to the Plaza de Alfonso II. It is surrounded by beautiful buildings: Palacio de los Condes de Toreno, one of the leading examples of Baroque architecture, currently housing the headquarters of the Royal Institute of Asturian Studies; The Camposagrado Palace presently the site of the Supreme Court of Asturias; and even the Cathedral of San Salvador can be clearly seen from the square. One of the curious features of the square is the Escultura El viajero (Sculpture of the Traveler). It depicts a man in a fedora and overcoat, surrounded by suitcases. Since its installation in 1993, El viajero has become one of the most photographed places in the city.
5
Casa de los Campomanes

5) Casa de los Campomanes

Casa de los Campomanes represents the perfect example of the Baroque architecture and is considered to be the first example of Baroque house built by Asturian rural nobility in the capital. It was raised in 1662 by Ruiz de Santayana. The building is composed of three floors. Its main ashlar facade is decorated by amazing latticed balconies. At the end of the 18th century, two galleries were added on both sides of the Casa de los Campomanes. These galleries feature two carved wooden balconies, with floral decoration on the panels. The panels were brought to Oviedo from Oxford by one of the house residents. A small chapel was organized in one of the galleries. It had an arched doorway and was flanked by two bays. Today, Casa de los Campomanes is the seat of the Spanish Socialist Workers Party.
6
Monasterio de San Pelayo

6) Monasterio de San Pelayo (must see)

The monastery of San Pelayo is a convent for women of the Benedictine order, located in the city of Oviedo. It is also known as the monastery of the Pelayas. The monastery was founded by King Alfonso II of Asturias (the Chaste), and was initially dedicated to Saint John the Baptist, but later to Saint Pelayo martyr, whose relics were supposedly acquired in 994 by the monastery. The monastery stands near the Cathedral of Oviedo. Mostly remodeled after the 16th century, it has lost most of its original Romanesque elements, including the church designed in 1590 by Leonardo de la Cajiga.
Sight description based on wikipedia
7
Muralla medieval de Oviedo

7) Muralla medieval de Oviedo (must see)

Muralla medieval de Oviedo is the fortification that used to protect the city. At the end of the 9th century, King Alfonso II the Chaste moved the capital of the kingdom to the city of Oviedo. Here, he began an extensive building program raising churches, monasteries, palaces, as well as the defensive wall that surrounded the whole neighborhood. At the present moment, the wall is classified as a Cultural Heritage Landmark. Different sections of the wall can still be seen on the Plaza de Riego, Calle de Jovellanos and the largest one on the Calle Paraíso.
8
Plaza de Feijóo

8) Plaza de Feijóo

Plaza de Feijóo is located in the heart of the historic city of Oviedo. It is named after the renown writer, teacher and philosopher, Benito Jerónimo Feijoo. The statue of Father Fray Benito Feijoo is installed in the center of the square. Benito Feijoo is famous for writing several immortal works like “Teatro Crítico” (Critic Theater) and “Cartas Eruditas” (Educational Letters). His works were translated in Italian, Portuguese, English, and German. The writer was one of the first to support women rights in his famous “Defense of Women” (1726), claiming that women have the same intelligence level as men and should be given equal rights and opportunities. His works still possess high cultural and scientific value.
9
Casa del Deán Payarinos

9) Casa del Deán Payarinos

Casa del Deán Payarinos is located in the Bishop Corrada square, surrounded by other beautiful buildings. It is named after Don Benigno Rodriguez Pajares, who was sincerely loved by Oviedo's citizens for his generosity and kindness. Locals used to call him Dean Payarinos. In 1901, he commissioned the construction of the new building, the eclectic Modernist style of which delights till the present day. The building was recently restored and now houses the Music Conservatory “Eduardo Martínez Torner”.
10
Casona de Regla

10) Casona de Regla

Casona de Regla was built in the 18th century according to the design of renown Spanish architect, Manuel Reguera Gonzalez. Casona de Regla is a rare example of early Spanish architecture that demonstrates how an industrial building can look beautiful from an architectural point of view and serve several functions (office, warehouse and living quarters). Between the 18th and 19th centuries, the house hosted two factories: a ceramic (Talavera factory) and a tannery. The facade features an inscription dedicated to the talented researcher of Asturias musical roots, Eduardo M. Torner, who was born in this house in 1888.
11
Museo de Bellas Artes de Asturias

11) Museo de Bellas Artes de Asturias (must see)

The Museum of Fine Arts of Asturias (Spanish: Museo de Bellas Artes de Asturias) is situated within three buildings: the Palacio de Velarde, the House of Oviedo-Portal, and the House of Solís-Carbajal. The museum was conceived in 13 June 1844 by Royal Decree and inaugurated 19 May 1980 formed by the art collection owned by the former province of Oviedo. Presently the museum depends on the Culture Department of Asturias and the City of Oviedo funding. The fine arts collection includes up to 10,000 inventoried items, with 350–400 on public display at one time. There are paintings by Spanish artists, highlighting those from Asturias, as well as those from foreign countries, such as Italian and Flemish painters. Sculptures, photographs, glass objects, and earthenware are also part of the permanent collection.
Sight description based on wikipedia
12
Plaza de la Constitución

12) Plaza de la Constitución (must see)

Plaza de la Constitución houses Casa consistorial de Oviedo, as well as one of the most beautiful city churches, Iglesia de San Isidoro, and many other worthwhile architectural structures. The square has had a lot of different names, including Plaza de la Ciudad, Plaza Mayor, Plaza de la Constitución, Plaza Real, Plaza de la República, Plaza Mayor and Plaza de la Constitución again. This place has served as a public square since 1505. It has gone through many changes till reaching its present appearance. In 1992, the last restoration took place which replaced the pavement, giving the Plaza de la Constitución a new, fresh look.
13
Plaza del Fontán

13) Plaza del Fontán (must see)

Plaza del Fontán is a small and beautiful arched square, located in Oviedo's old town. It is filled with cafes and creates a very cozy and relaxing atmosphere. The square was formed in the 12th century by the peasants who came to the city in order to sell their products (milk, vegetables, cheese, chicken, etc.). Very soon, the plaza became the commercial center of the city suburbs. It houses El Fontán Market - the place where a visitor can have a deep insight into Oviedo's traditions and culture.

Since that time, the appearance of the square and its purpose have changed, but it remains a lively place, bustling with people.
14
Vendedoras del Fontán

14) Vendedoras del Fontán

Vendedoras del Fontán is located in the Plaza de Daoíz y Velarde, a beautiful and quiet place in the center of the city. The plaza is fringed by tree lines, offering shelter from the sun to its visitors. The Daoíz y Velarde square is home to a library, palace, fountain and a statue. The statue was inaugurated in 1996, it depicts two women who came to the marketplace from the village to sell their goods. This composition aims to remind us about the contributions of women in a post-war world.
15
Edificio de la Junta General del Principado des Asturias

15) Edificio de la Junta General del Principado des Asturias

Edificio de la Junta General del Principado des Asturias was erected in 1910 as the Seat of the Provincial Government. The building represents French motives with a grandiose dome, balconies, arched windows and impressive doorways. The facade is crowned by male and female figures, representing science and labor. Each of the windows is decorated with original ornamentation.
16
Campo de San Francisco

16) Campo de San Francisco (must see)

Campo de San Francisco is located in the center of Oviedo and represents one of the most significant landmarks in the city. It stretches across 9 ha (90000 square meters) and houses a Botanical Garden, Snail Fountain, Duck Pond, Music Kiosk, and many beautiful statues and monuments. Historic documents from the 15th century describe Campo de San Francisco as a place frequently visited by people. It was also used as grounds for military training. In the 19th century, the park's present day borders were decided, being bound to the center of the city by Santa Cruz, Santa Susana and Uria Toreno street. Campo de San Francisco is often called the “lungs of the city” and is much loved and valued by Oviedo's citizens.
17
Plaza de España

17) Plaza de España

Plaza de España houses a beautiful composition of three statues, called Monumento a Francisco Franco, Spanish general, the leader of the Nationalist military rebellion during the Spanish Civil War. The monument consists of two lateral sculptures and a central one. The lateral figures represent Neptune sitting of the dolphin's back and Apollo looking at the sun. The central figure depicts the Greek Goddess, Hera, proudly facing her future. The curious thing about this composition is its actual dedication. Spain, during its long history, has gone through very difficult years of fascist regime. And Francisco Franco used to be one of the fascist leaders. In 2007, the Spanish government passed the Historical Memory Law, officially condemning the fascist regime. This law implied honoring victims from both sides, but removing all the Francoist symbols and statues from public areas. That's why it is very surprising to see the portrait and the name of Francisco Franco on the column Hera Goddess is standing on.
18
Calle Uria

18) Calle Uria (must see)

Calle Uria (Uría Street) is the main shopping venue of Oviedo, equivalent to Manhattan's Fifth Avenue in NYC. The street was designed with the intention to connect the old town center to the North station. The Uria architecture is notable with several landmarks, including The White House, Houses of Cuitu, and the old Aramo cinema.

Walking Tours in Oviedo, Spain

Create Your Own Walk in Oviedo

Create Your Own Walk in Oviedo

Creating your own self-guided walk in Oviedo is easy and fun. Choose the city attractions that you want to see and a walk route map will be created just for you. You can even set your hotel as the start point of the walk.
Oviedo Heritage Walking Tour

Oviedo Heritage Walking Tour

Oviedo city is home to many beautiful buildings and monuments, but some of them are especially meaningful, due to their role in the historical and cultural development of the region. This two-hour tour will show you the most significant landmarks on the northern side of Oviedo.

Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.7 Km or 2.3 Miles
Oviedo Religious Walking Tour

Oviedo Religious Walking Tour

It is believed that the city of Oviedo was founded by two monks, Nolan and John, in 761. And it is worth mentioning that the very first construction was a small church dedicated to Saint Vincent. A lot of beautiful churches have been built since then and we invite you to take this tour and explore the most significant religious buildings in Oviedo.

Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.1 Km or 1.3 Miles
Oviedo Statues and Squares, Part 2

Oviedo Statues and Squares, Part 2

Oviedo is famous for featuring a lot of curious statues, sculptures and artistic compositions. Each of them has a story, certainly worth knowing. This tour will show you the most famous and beautiful of Oviedo hidden jewels.

Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.3 Km or 0.8 Miles
Oviedo Museums and Galleries Walking Tour

Oviedo Museums and Galleries Walking Tour

Oviedo is the capital city of the Principality of Asturias in northern Spain, and the administrative, commercial and cultural centre of the region. It houses many priceless historic monuments, as well as museums intended to preserve the area's heritage. Take this walking tour to explore the most famous museums in Oviedo.

Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.8 Km or 1.1 Miles
Oviedo Statues and Squares, Part 1

Oviedo Statues and Squares, Part 1

Oviedo is a very beautiful city, it offers its visitors a lot of wonderful landmarks to admire. This sightseeing tour proposes a trip around the most famous and interesting statues and squares of the city.

Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.5 Km or 0.9 Miles
West Oviedo Walking Tour

West Oviedo Walking Tour

West Oviedo is presently the modern center of the city. Here are located major administrative institutions, as well as beautiful statues. Most of the old buildings are carefully preserved to serve as a reminder of the forefathers' talent and imagination. This tour will show you the most interesting sites in this part of the city.

Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.9 Km or 2.4 Miles