Cathedral of San Salvador, Oviedo (must see)
The Metropolitan Cathedral Basilica of the Holy Saviour or Cathedral of San Salvador is a Roman Catholic cathedral and minor basilica in the centre of Oviedo. The cathedral displays an array of architectural styles, from Pre-Romanesque to Baroque, including Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance parts. It began as a large Pre-Romanesque basilica in the present location of the Gothic cathedral, but nothing more is known about that first building, built by order of King Alfonso II of Asturias. The Cathedral was founded by King Fruela I of Asturias in 781 AD, and enlarged in 802 by his son Alfonso II of Asturias known as Alfonso the Chaste, who made Oviedo the capital of Kingdom of Asturias, and resided in Oviedo with his court. Some Romanesque features, such as the Southern Tower, or the upper part of the Holy Chamber, include a fantastic collection of Romanesque column-statues. The cathedral of San Salvador is mainly a fine Gothic building, which was built between 14th and 16th centuries in a Classic and Flamboyant Style. The Chapter Room, whose construction started in 1388, was the first part of the new Gothic cathedral to be finished: built in a classic Gothic fashion (including a great eight-sided dome), it was followed by the cloister and the choir (ca. 1400). The naves were built once the choir was finished, all through the 15th century. We can admire the progression of the constructive stages, taking as an example the tracery of windows and tryphorium. The sanctuary is still a classical-Gothic work, whereas the naves present typical flame-like elements typical of a late-Gothic style. The latest medieval part, the narthex, was designed by Juan de Badajoz, whose original project included a double-towered facade (though due to financial issues, only a tower was built). The altarpiece at the end of the choir, is also a great work of sculpture and painting in Renaissance, perhaps one of the best of its kind in Spain. The major restoration of the cathedral complex was initiated with preliminary studies in 1995 at the request of the Principality of Asturias. Under the sponsorship of the Spanish National Plan for Cathedrals (Spanish: Plan National de Catedrales), the complex was restored from 1998 to 2002 for a total budget of €764,623.55.
Sight description based on Wikipedia.