Judge Robert S. Wilson House, Ann Arbor
Robert S. Wilson was an attorney who moved from Allegheny County, New York, to Ann Arbor in 1835. He was Judge of the Washtenaw County Probate court for a year, and served in the Michigan House of Representatives. In approximately 1839, Wilson had this house built on a lot in Ann Arbor. He lived there until 1850, when he moved to Chicago and sold the house to John H. Welles.
The Robert S. Wilson House is a two-story Greek Revival structure constructed of brick with a stucco finish on a stone foundation. Nearly every survey of Michigan architecture has singled out the Wilson House as an outstanding specimen of Neoclassical architecture design. Architect Fiske Kimball attributed its "four study Ionic columns, rising through two stories, with graceful flutes and capitals" to the original Temple of the Wingless Victory at Athens.
The front facade boasts a full-width portico with Ionic fluted shaft columns, and an entryway framed by matching pilasters. Windows have external shutters. A two-story addition on the rear was likely constructed more recently than the main portion of the house.
Inside, the main section of the house is two parlors deep with a hall containing a stairwell to the side. The rear addition has a side entrance into another stair hall. All the major rooms in the house have fireplaces.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Ann Arbor. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Judge Robert S. Wilson House on Map
Walking Tours in Ann Arbor, Michigan
The abundance of down-home charm, especially in the historic district, is richly complemented by plethora of time-tested architectural landmarks in... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.7 Km or 1.7 Miles
Founded in 1817 in Detroit as the University of Michigania, 20 years before the territory became a state, this university is Michigan's oldest. The school was moved to Ann Arbor in 1837. Among its alumni there... view more
Tour Duration: 3 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.6 Km or 2.2 Miles
It started off as a small strip of land registered in 1825 as "Annarbour", named after the wives of its co-founders, both called Ann, and the stands of bur oak trees. Following the move of the... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.0 Km or 1.9 Miles