Place de la Cathédrale (Cathedral Square), Colmar
The Waldner-Stephan Court (Cour Waldner-Stephan) is a courtyard by Cathedral Square. It is home to the ancient Judas tree, planted in 1791. According to a legend, Judas hung himself on such a tree. It is said the purple blossoms symbolize the tears of Christ. The old tree is surrounded by an iron railing. A plaque cites the date of planting.
An important building on the square is the Guard House (Corps de Garde), based on the 1286 chapel of Saint James. It has a loggia and portal, installed in 1577, constituting a gem of Renaissance architecture. It has served as a town hall, guardhouse, nut market, platform for magistrates, and police station.
At 6 Cathedral Square is the RUC bookstore. It has over 45,000 references on five levels served by a large central staircase. The Adolph House, at number 16, is considered one of the oldest in Colmar, built around 1350. It has late 14th-century Gothic bays with pointed arch windows. Next to the Adolph House is an old well dating back to 1592.
At 11 Cathedral Square is Yann's Workshop (l'Atelier Yann), a vast patisserie. At the foot of the church is the brewery and brasserie, l'Amandine.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Colmar. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from Apple App Store or Google Play Store. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Place de la Cathédrale (Cathedral Square) on Map
Walking Tours in Colmar, France
In 1871 it was annexed by the German Empire as a result of the Franco-Prussian... view more
Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.5 Km or 0.9 Miles
Many of Bartholdi's statues are found in fountains that occupy spaces in city squares or on significant street corners. Some of... view more
Tour Duration: 3 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 5.9 Km or 3.7 Miles