President's House, Ann Arbor
In 1840, the University of Michigan moved from its original location in Detroit to Ann Arbor. To house faculty members, four houses were constructed by builder Harpin Lum, costing a total of $26,900 (equivalent to $685,000 in 2019). The houses may have been designed by campus architect Alexander J. Davis Until 1852, the university was governed by a faculty committee, and there was no president.
In 1852 Henry Philip Tappan became the first President of the University and moved into this house, which was at the time vacant. Tappan was succeeded in 1863 by Erastus Otis Haven, who added a single-story kitchen to the house, as well as a third story. Haven was succeeded in 1871 by James Burrill Angell, who had made his acceptance of the post conditional on refurbishment of the President's House. During Angell's tenure, the President's House was substantially altered by adding a west wing containing a semi-circular library and more bedrooms.
Angell's successor, Harry Burns Hutchins, chose not to live in the house, and it remained vacant during Hutchins's tenure. When Marion LeRoy Burton was appointed in 1920, the President's House was thoroughly renovated at his request, adding a sun parlor with a sleeping porch and enclosing a rear porch to make a dining area.
Subsequent presidents did some renovation work on the interior, but exterior changes were confined to the addition of a small study and glassed-in plant room during Alexander Grant Ruthven's tenure, and a glassed-in porch and stone terrace during Harlan Hatcher's tenure. In 1970, what is now the Hatcher Graduate Library was constructed behind the house. The house was extensively renovated in the late 1980s.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Ann Arbor. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
President's House on Map
Walking Tours in Ann Arbor, Michigan
Founded in 1817 in Detroit as the University of Michigania, 20 years before the territory became a state, this university is Michigan's oldest. The school was moved to Ann Arbor in 1837. Among its alumni there... view more
Tour Duration: 3 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.6 Km or 2.2 Miles
It started off as a small strip of land registered in 1825 as "Annarbour", named after the wives of its co-founders, both called Ann, and the stands of bur oak trees. Following the move of the... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.0 Km or 1.9 Miles
The abundance of down-home charm, especially in the historic district, is richly complemented by plethora of time-tested architectural landmarks in... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.7 Km or 1.7 Miles