Cardiff Metropolitan Cathedral, Cardiff
The original Saint David's was built in 1842. The cost was over two thousand pounds. Funds raised in Ireland and Wales were increased by donations from Lady Catherine Eyre of Bath. The church was located on David Street and it was named for Saint David, the patron saint of Wales.
The new church was built in 1887 by Pugin & Pugin Architects. It became the seat of the Catholic Archbishop of Cardiff in 1916. The church was elevated to cathedral status in 1920. It is located on Charles Street. It is one of three Roman Catholic Cathedrals in the United Kingdom. It is also famous for its choir school.
The Cathedral was basically destroyed in World War II when an incendiary bomb penetrated the roof. It was rebuilt and restored in the 1950s. It reopened in 1959. The restoration work was carried out by Bates, Son & Price.
The reborn cathedral has new hammerbeam roof trusses over the nave. It is made from Pennant sandstone in an Early English style. It has a four-stage tower and a high five light window. The beam roof covers the seven bay nave. The nave has side chapels and confessionals. There are great arches and a two bay choir under a circular window.
Statues of martyrs John Lloyd and Philip Evans of Cardiff are here. A late Victorian stained glass window shows the Immaculate Conception witnessed by the Popes.
The Cathedral has a choir school and the famous Boys Choir, established in 1959.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Cardiff. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Cardiff Metropolitan Cathedral on Map
Walking Tours in Cardiff, Wales
Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.1 Km or 0.7 Miles
The fortification was strategically located. It was possible to... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.8 Km or 1.7 Miles