Chiesa di San Giuliano (Church of San Giuliano), Catania
The present late-Baroque building was constructed between 1739 and 1751 using the designs by Giuseppe Palazzotto and Vincenzo Caffarelli, and is dedicated St Julian the Hospitaller. The temple has an elaborate convex façade, with the upper story windows shielded by a dense iron grate, once used by the Benedictine nuns of the adjacent convent to observe the colorful procession on the day of Sant'Agata. The façade pediment holds a reclining maiden, sculpted by Gaspare Ciriaci. The entrance door carries a cross of the Order of the Holy Sepulchre, who restored the church after 1939.
The interior nave is an elongated asymmetric octagon with a main altar and four shallow circumferential minor altars. The main altar in polychrome was designed by Giovanni Battista Vaccarini, and sculpted by Giovanni Battista Marino. The statuettes, flanking the throne and painted cross, depict allegories of Faith and Charity. The minor altarpieces depict: Madonna of the Graces with St Joseph and St Benedict; St Anthony Abbot in Ecstasy; Scenes of the Life of St Julian and his Martyrdom; Crucifixion scene with Mary of the Sorrows, Mary Magdalen, and St John the Evangelist.
The cupola fresco, depicting God the Father and St Peter, was painted by Giuseppe Rapisardi in 1842.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Catania. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Chiesa di San Giuliano (Church of San Giuliano) on Map
Walking Tours in Catania, Italy
The original village of Katane was occupied by Greek settlers in the eighth century BC. During the first Punic War, Catania became a Roman city. The Vandals... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.8 Km or 2.4 Miles
Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.6 Km or 1 Miles