Chiesa di Sant'Antonio Taumaturgo (Church of Saint Antonio Taumaturgo), Trieste
The first church at this location before the middle of the 18th century was a private chapel dedicated to the Annunciation. It was too small to accommodate worshipers. It was soon replaced by a new church named Sant'Antonio Nuovo. Completed in 1771, the new church also proved too small. A competition to design a new church was held in 1808.
Neoclassicist architect Pietro Nobile won the competition. Work was slow, and the church was not completed until consecration in 1849. The facade holds an imperial-looking portico with six Ionic columns and a massive unadorned pediment.
On the main facade are six statues of the patron saints of Trieste, Saint Giusto, Saint Sergio, Saint Servolo, Saint Muro, Saint Eufemia, and Saint Tecla, sculpted by Francesco Bosa. The rear facade has twin bell towers. The enormous interior features barrel arches and vaults. In the apse is a fresco of Jesus Entering Jerusalem by Sebastiano Santi.
Six lateral niches hold altarpieces showing Saint Anna and the Virgin Child, by Michelangelo Grigoletti; The Presentation, by Felice Schiavoni; Saint Anthony in Glory by Odorico Politi; the Martyrdom of Saints Euphemia, Erasma, Tecla, and Dorotea by Ludovico Lipparini; and the Crucifixion by Joseph Ernest Tunner.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Trieste. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Chiesa di Sant'Antonio Taumaturgo (Church of Saint Antonio Taumaturgo) on Map
Walking Tours in Trieste, Italy
The Propylaeum of the 1st century AD was the gateway to the sacred area of the Capitoline Temple. There are two... view more
Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 0.9 Km or 0.6 Miles
The ancient Veneti tribes called the town "Tergeste," which means... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.7 Km or 2.3 Miles