Couvent des Dominicains de Colmar (Dominican Church), Colmar
The church has a vaulted choir of five bays. It has an apse of five octagonal sides and a nave with six bays supported by slender columns without capitals. Its stained glass windows date from early in the 14th century. They depict scenes from the Life of Christ. The cloister has arcades established in an irregular rectangle.
The choir is earlier than 1300. The nave was completed in 1346. The "Virgin of the Rose Bush," an altarpiece painted in 1473 by Renaissance artist Martin Schongauer, is in the choir. Murals in the cloister, painted from the last days of the 15th century, show the Passion of Christ.
During the 19th century, the church served non-religious purposes. The church was used for military stores during the French Revolution. In 1807 it became a corn exchange. In 1898 it was returned as a place of worship.
The convent buildings were erected in 1300, rebuilt in the 18th century, transformed into barracks for the gendarmerie in 1795, then housed the preparatory school for teachers. Since 1951 they have accommodated the municipal library.
The cloister and the church have been classified as historical monuments since November 2, 1948.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Colmar. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from Apple App Store or Google Play Store. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Couvent des Dominicains de Colmar (Dominican Church) on Map
Walking Tours in Colmar, France
In 1871 it was annexed by the German Empire as a result of the Franco-Prussian... view more
Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.5 Km or 0.9 Miles
Many of Bartholdi's statues are found in fountains that occupy spaces in city squares or on significant street corners. Some of... view more
Tour Duration: 3 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 5.9 Km or 3.7 Miles