Prefecture des Yvelines (Hôtel de la Péfecture), Versailles
The enormous three sided building was constructed between 1863 and 1866 on the former site of the Royal Kennels. It was commissioned by the Préfet Edouard Charton and built by Amédée Manuel. The figures on the triangular pediment above the main entrance represent La Seine and l’Oise; the two busts below represent Commerce and Industry.
The interior of the building is quite magnificent with ceiling frescoes by Ernest Gendron, Gaston Jobbé Duval and Dominique Guifard. The walls are bedecked with many important paintings, including naval battle scenes by Théodore Gudin and four paintings of the Four Seasons by Legray. There are also superb objets d’art including a fine statuette in Sevrès Porcelain by Louis-Simon Boizot.
During the Franco-Prussian War in 1870 the building was occupied by the forces of the Prussian king, who was crowned William 1st German Emperor in 1871 in the Hall of Mirrors at the Chateau of Versailles.
The newly crowned emperor and his army moved out and the building was then occupied by the 1st President of the 3rd Republic, Adolphe Thiers and his government during the Commune of Paris. His successor Patrice Mac Mahon also governed from here until 1875.
In 1880 it became the seat of the Préfecture of Seine-et-Oise, until it was taken over by the newly created Préfecture des Yvelines in 1968.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Versailles. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Prefecture des Yvelines (Hôtel de la Péfecture) on Map
Sight Location: Versailles, France (See walking tours in Versailles)
Sight Type: Attraction/Landmark
Guide(s) Containing This Sight:
Walking Tours in Versailles, France
Tour Duration: 4 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 10.1 Km or 6.3 Miles
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.8 Km or 2.4 Miles