San Francesco Borgia (Church of Saint Francis Borgia), Catania
The facade has a more classical front, with five statues of Jesuit saints. The one in the center, over the portal is the titular saint, while the flanking lower two are Ignatius Loyola and Francis Xavier. The upper statues depict Aloysius Gonzaga and Stanislaus Kostka.
The interior layout of the church is of a Latin cross, with a central nave and two aisles with chapels. Most of the interior was completed by 1740. The first altar on the right has an altarpiece depicting the Vision of Madonna and Child to San Giovanni Francesco Regis while in agony by Luciano Foti (1694-1779). The second altar on the right depicts the Saints Stanislaus Kostka and Aloysius Gonzaga by Giovanni Tuccari (1667-1743). The main altar is rich in polychrome marble and sculptural decorations by Giovanni Battista Marino. Part of it was vandalized in the 1980s. The main altarpiece is a copy (1567) of the Madonna della Neve, found in Santa Maria Maggiore, Rome. The work was donated by Francesco Borgia himself.
At the base of the dome there are statues of four evangelists. The frescoes depict the Triumph of St Ignatius and the Jesuits over heresy with a glory of Saints and Martyrs. The apse has painted curtains in a trompe-l'œil effect.
In the altars on the left there are two altarpieces, featuring St Agatha visited in jail and a Glory of St Joseph.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Catania. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
San Francesco Borgia (Church of Saint Francis Borgia) on Map
Walking Tours in Catania, Italy
Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.6 Km or 1 Miles
The original village of Katane was occupied by Greek settlers in the eighth century BC. During the first Punic War, Catania became a Roman city. The Vandals... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.8 Km or 2.4 Miles