Ayuntamiento de San Sebastian (San Sebastian Town Hall), San Sebastian
Queen Isabela II spent her summers at San Sebastian, making it, for a time, a prime destination for the rich and famous. The presence of the Queen and court turned the city into the most fashionable and chicest holiday destination of the 19th century. San Sebastián became a magnet for the aristocracy.
Along with the casinos, the Maria Cristina Hotel, the Victoria Eugenia Theatre, the Cathedral of Good Shepherd (Catedral del Buen Pastor), the Penaflorida Institute, the School of Arts and Crafts (Escuela de Artes y Oficios,) the new tram, electric lights, and telephones earned the city the nickname "Little Paris."
Architects Luis Aladren and Adolfo Morales de los Rios took inspiration from the casinos in Monte Carlo. Everybody who was anybody came; the Queen and the Royal children, the Shah of Persia, Leon Trotsky, and Baron Rothchild. According to some historians, the casino banned berets and espadrille shoes and was frequented by very few locals.
The Gran Casino closed in 1924. In 1943 architects Alday and Arizmendi redesigned the building to accommodate the City Council, which was moving from its former premises at Constitution Square. And so the Gran Casino evolved into the Town Hall (Ayuntamiento) of San Sebastian.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in San Sebastian. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Ayuntamiento de San Sebastian (San Sebastian Town Hall) on Map
Sight Location: San Sebastian, Spain (See walking tours in San Sebastian)
Sight Type: Attraction/Landmark
Guide(s) Containing This Sight:
Walking Tours in San Sebastian, Spain
From its elevated... view more
Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.7 Km or 1.7 Miles
Named after the monastery of San Sebastian, the city traces its history back to 1181, when the King of Navarre, Sancho VI Garces, granted the... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.0 Km or 1.9 Miles