Temple de Hirsch Sinai, Seattle (must see)
Named after the German Jewish philanthropist Baron Maurice De Hirsch, the Temple De Hirsch Sinai is a reform Jewish Synagogue and the largest reform congregation in the Pacific Northwest.
The Temple de Hirsch was founded in Seattle in 1899 and celebrated its centenary in 1999. The first congregation was small and as the members increased, the cornerstone for a new establishment was laid at Bolyston Avenue and Marion Street. This new building was not raised higher than the basement. In 1907 a larger site at 15th Avenue and Union Street was purchased for the purpose of building a larger temple to accommodate the large and growing reform Jewish congregation. In 1908, construction on the building was completed and the new temple was dedicated. The organ was donated by Babette Shwabacher Gadzert the wife of the Jewish Mayor of Seattle in 1876, Bailey Gadzert. In 1960 a new larger sanctuary was built by Temple De Hirsch for a larger congregation designed by Benjamin Marcus Priteca, John Peck and John Dettie. The new sanctuary is located at 16th Avenue and Pike Street.
The Temple De Hirsch Sinai has a long history of preserving and promoting Jewish ethical and moral concepts and for providing outreach and community service including promoting education and life-cycle events.