Saint Catherine's Church (St. Catharinakerk), Eindhoven (must see)
The original church was constructed sometime in the 13th century but was not well established until 1340. A cemetery was built near the church in 1399 after it was promoted from a dependent to a collegiate church. The church also became known as a place of pilgrimage.
Sadly, the original church faced much destruction throughout its life. Partially damaged by fire in 1554, it was looted, fell into ruin, and eventually razed.
The current Saint Catherine's Church was built in 1867. It was designed in the Gothic Revival architectural style by architect Pierre Cuypers. For this church, Cuypers used ideas of symbolism in designing two towers. The southern tower is the more refined and represents the Ivory Tower, a symbol of the purity of Mary. The northern structure, decorated with turrets and battlements, represents the Tower of David, a symbol of strength.
Saint Catherine's Church was damaged during World War II. Restoration work replaced glass windows with stained glass crafted by Charles Eyck and Pieter Wiegersma. The largest of the church's two organs was destroyed in the war and rebuilt with more than 5,700 pipes. A carillon with a circumference of five octaves was added in 1966.
The Music Foundation regularly holds music concerts in the church. The church building was declared a National Cultural Monument in 1972.
Want to visit this sight? Check out these Self-Guided Walking Tours in Eindhoven. Alternatively, you can download the mobile app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play Store. The app turns your mobile device to a personal tour guide and it works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.
Saint Catherine's Church (St. Catharinakerk) on Map
Sight Location: Eindhoven, Netherlands (See walking tours in Eindhoven)
Sight Type: Religious
Guide(s) Containing This Sight:
Walking Tours in Eindhoven, Netherlands
Tour Duration: 1 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 1.3 Km or 0.8 Miles
Eindhoven was officially given status as a municipality in 1232. It was already a small town with less than 200 houses inside the city... view more
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.8 Km or 1.7 Miles