Federico Fellini Trail, Rimini

Federico Fellini Trail (Self Guided), Rimini

Rimini is famous as the hometown of the world-famous film director Federico Fellini. This is the city where he was born and where he died, the city that inspired him and whose images Fellini used frequently in his movies. Take this tour and feel the atmosphere of Rimini that enchanted the great film director.
How it works: Download the app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play to your mobile phone or tablet. The app turns your mobile device into a personal tour guide and its built-in GPS navigation functions guide you from one tour stop to next. The app works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.

Download The GPSmyCity App

Download 'GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities' app for IOS   Download 'GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities' app for Android

Federico Fellini Trail Map

Guide Name: Federico Fellini Trail
Guide Location: Italy » Rimini (See other walking tours in Rimini)
Guide Type: Self-guided Walking Tour (Sightseeing)
# of Attractions: 9
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.4 Km or 2.1 Miles
Author: Dara
Sight(s) Featured in This Guide:
  • Piazzetta Teatini
  • Tempio Malatestiano (Malatestiano Temple)
  • Cineteca Comunale in Palazzo Gambalunga (Gambalunga Palace Cinematheque)
  • Fellini Museum and Cinema Fulgor
  • Piazza Cavour (Cavour Square)
  • Fellini Museum at Sismondo Castle
  • Borgo San Giuliano and Piazzetta Gabena
  • Parco Fellini (Fellini Park)
  • Grand Hotel Rimini
1
Piazzetta Teatini

1) Piazzetta Teatini

A small and cozy corner of historical Rimini, Piazzetta Teatini was one of Fellini's “secret hideout” places. Due to his early success and fame, the film director felt uncomfortable when returning to his hometown. Because of this, Fellini's visits to Rimini were usually kept secret to everyone except close friends and relatives. The head of the Fellini Foundation and a close friend of his, Sergio Zavoli says that Federico often arrived in Rimini at night and together with his friend Luigi "Titta" Benzi went to Piazzetta Teatini to talk while kicking around an empty can. They used to talk until the break of dawn and when the city awoke, Fellini was gone.
2
Tempio Malatestiano (Malatestiano Temple)

2) Tempio Malatestiano (Malatestiano Temple) (must see)

The Tempio Malatestiano is the cathedral church of Rimini. Officially named for St. Francis, it takes the popular name from Sigismondo Pandolfo Malatesta, who commissioned its reconstruction by the famous Renaissance theorist and architect Leon Battista Alberti around 1450.

San Francesco was originally a thirteenth-century Gothic church belonging to the Franciscans. The original church had a rectangular plan, without side chapels, with a single nave ending with three apses. The central one was probably frescoed by Giotto, to whom is also attributed the crucifix now housed in the second right chapel. Of Alberti's project, the dome that appears in Matteo's foundation medal of 1450— similar to that of the Pantheon of Rome and intended to be among the largest in Italy— was never built.

Also the upper part of the façade, which was supposed to include a gable end, was never finished, though it had risen to a considerable height by the winter of 1454, as Malatesta's fortunes declined steeply after his excommunication in 1460 and the structure remained as we see it, with its unexecuted east end, at his death in 1466. The two blind arcades at the side of the entrance arch were to house the sarcophagi of Sigismondo Pandolfo and Isotta, which instead are now in the interior.

Works for the renovation of the nave began some five years before those of the exterior shell that encases the church. Marble for the work was taken from the Roman ruins in Sant'Apollinare in Classe and in Fano.

***Fellini used to enter the cathedral “when nobody else was around and the marble seats were fresh; tombs, bishops and medieval knights patrolled, protective and sinister, in the shadow” (Ritorno a La Mia Rimini, Federico Fellini, Guaraldi Editore).

In Via IV November, nearly in front of the Tempio, is FeBo, the art atelier that Fellini opened with painter Demons Bonini (the name comes from the first letters of their surnames). Here, a young Fellini drew his first sketches and sold his first portraits. ***PH***
Sight description based on Wikipedia.
3
Cineteca Comunale in Palazzo Gambalunga (Gambalunga Palace Cinematheque)

3) Cineteca Comunale in Palazzo Gambalunga (Gambalunga Palace Cinematheque)

The Gambalunga Palace is situated in the historical center of the city and is the home of the Gambalunga Civic Library. It is considered one of the most important archives in Italy. A special section of the library is dedicated to film culture. The Cinematheque has a huge multimedia gallery and video archive. Here you can find a section dedicated to Federico Fellini and his works. Another link of Fellini to this place is that the top floor of the Gambalunga Palace used to serve as a secondary school, attended by the famous film director.
4
Fellini Museum and Cinema Fulgor

4) Fellini Museum and Cinema Fulgor

The Fulgor, set inside Palazzo Valloni, an eighteenth-century building whose facade was designed by the architect Giuseppe Valadier, represents the oldest cinema in Rimini and one of the most famous in the world, thanks to the great director Federico Fellini who, on the knees of his , saw his first film , Maciste all'inferno by Guido Brignone and thus discovered the magic of the seventh art. The Cinema Fulgor was also the most frequented by Fellini who entered it for free in exchange for portraits of American stars. Today it represents the most powerful symbol of the bond between the director and his hometown as well as being the first and one of the main sources of Fellini's vision.

The three upper floors of Palazzo Valloni have been part of the museum complex dedicated to the great master of cinema Federico Fellini since 2020. A golden portico protects the entrance to Palazzo del Fulgor from Piazzetta San Martino: it is the starting point of a journey into Fellini's imagination, through a series of visual and technological tools and three architectural treasures: the Room of Words, the Cinemino and the Casa of the Magician. ***PH***
5
Piazza Cavour (Cavour Square)

5) Piazza Cavour (Cavour Square) (must see)

Piazza Cavour has been the political and economic center of the city since the beginning of the 13th century, when it acquired importance with the construction of the Arengo palace.

In the 16th century the square took the name of "piazza del Comune" or "della fontana" and underwent important changes: the old town hall was enlarged and joined to the new Palazzo Garampi, in a single large monumental complex, while the block of S. Silvestro, which closed the square towards the Corso d'Augusto, was completely demolished. Between 1615 and 1620 the public granary was built on the western side of the square, also known as the "building of abundance" or the "Forni", replaced in the mid- nineteenth century by the municipal theater.

The three municipal buildings overlook the square (Palazzo Garampi, Palazzo dell'Arengo and Palazzo del Podestà ), the Amintore Galli Theater and the Pescheria; in the center stand the Fontana della Pigna and the monument to Paul V.

The monument to Paul V, placed in the center of the square since 1614, was built by Sebastiano Sebastiani based on a design by Nicolò Cordieri as an act of gratitude by the city to Pope Paul V Borghese. In the Napoleonic era, the figure of the pontiff was transformed into that of San Gaudenzo, patron saint of the city, fearing that the monument could be demolished by the French and the statue cast to obtain weapons and cannons; in 1938 it was restored to its original forms. The bronze statue, placed on a high marble base, depicts the pontiff sitting on a throne decorated with reliefs and decorative elements, with the keys in his left hand and the right one raised in the sign of blessing.

***Fellini talked several times about Cavour square and he often used it as a set. He was able to recreate the whole square at Cinecittà (Rome movie studios).

In Piazza Cavour, the very heart of the city, is the so-called Fontana Della Pigna (lit. the Fountain of the pine cone), named after the pine cone on top of the Carrara marble structure dating back to the half of the 16th century.

This fountain, reconstructed in Cinecittà for the shooting of Amarcord, is the place on which the great peacock flew after the fun scene of the snowball fight which also involved Gradisca.***
Sight description based on Wikipedia.
6
Fellini Museum at Sismondo Castle

6) Fellini Museum at Sismondo Castle

Sismondo Castle, better known as Rocca Malatestiana, this fortress is the symbol of the power of the Malatesta House between the 14th and the 15th century.

Fellini revealed that one day, when he was a child, he escaped from home to join the circus, whose big top was in front of the Rocca, in the heart of the city.

He remembered that experience long time after, and used it as a source of inspiration for his film The clowns.

Today, the castle is the core of the Fellini Museum, the exhibition space dedicated to his figure and poetics.

The largest and most innovative museum in the world dedicated to the genius of Federico Fellini and his poetic legacy, as well as his artistic and visual references to the art of all times. This is the International Federico Fellini Museum, a museum that does not intend to interpret Fellini's cinema as a finished work to be paid homage to, but as the key to "everything is imagined", the possibility of linking past and present, classical and contemporary art, capable of giving back everything that cinema has sought to be since its origin and that Fellini's films express in the most complete way: amazement, fantasy, spectacle, fun.

The Museum is divided into three sections. Sismondo Castle, the 15th century fortress that Filippo Brunelleschi contributed to building; Palazzo del Fulgor, a recently restored 18th century building (Palazzo Valloni), whose ground floor houses the legendary Fulgor cinema immortalised in Amarcord, while the upper floors are dedicated to information, study and research; and the third and last section consisting of a large urban area, Malatesta Square, a real Piazza dei Sogni (the square of dreams) which, through a path of Fellini's installations, acts not only as a connective tissue but also as a creative 'fil rouge' between these two buildings of extraordinary architectural and symbolic value, to become a visual and interactive experience that characterises the spaces of daily relations for residents and guests.

In a few words the Fellini Museum is a “museum that comes out of the museum”, operating on different levels and exceeding its own spaces; it fires the imagination and in a single conceptual and spatial whole with Piazza Malatesta, creating a composite path where the narrations create a participatory immersive and diffused museum.

In the sixteen rooms of this renaissance castle, which offer a panoramic view of the most relevant aspects of the director’s work, you can immerse yourself in Fellini culture, and savour his profundity and vision.
***PH***
7
Borgo San Giuliano and Piazzetta Gabena

7) Borgo San Giuliano and Piazzetta Gabena

Breathe in the poetic atmosphere of Fellini's favorite part of the city: the San Giuliano district. This area of Rimini is a labyrinth of narrow streets with surprising turns and hidden places. San Giuliano used to be a rather poor village, populated by fishermen, but now it is extremely popular with artists, writers and musicians. Wander around a bit and you'll discover many fantastic mural paintings, depicting scenes from the life and movie masterpieces of the great maestro.

***'E borg, as the Rimini people call it, was a popular village of seafarers, artisans, peasants and humble people. They inspired Fellini's crazy imagination for films like Amarcord and The Clowns.

In the mid-1980s the Borgo was in danger. The idea of ​​demolishing it to make way for a modern residential area came up.

The "Borghigiani" rose up and organized a party called "Festa de Borg" to make everyone aware of the roots, beauty and wealth of this village.

Today Borgo San Giuliano is a delightful neighbourhood where you can admire street art dedicated to Fellini and his movies.

In Piazzetta Gabena, and just around the corner, against a light blue background, appears Gelsomina, the fragile protagonist of "La Strada". He climbs his circus pole. Nearby is one of the most exciting murals - the passionate kiss of "La dolce vita", one of the most romantic, sweetest, most famous in history.

Among pink tables, peacocks and yellow seahorses, Borgo San Giuliano also dedicates its colors to the dreamlike images of the nostalgic "Amarcord".***PH***
8
Parco Fellini (Fellini Park)

8) Parco Fellini (Fellini Park)

The Fellini Park is located in Marina Centro, the central part of the city. It is a wonderful place for escaping the city's hustle and bustle. On the central alley of the park four marble horse statues hold a beautiful fountain, which was built in 1928 for the Kursaal bathing complex. In the park you can also find a curious information booth in the form of a giant photo camera. Fellini Park is a place where many shows and festivals take place. In summer it hosts the traditional Fellini film festival.
9
Grand Hotel Rimini

9) Grand Hotel Rimini

Grand Hotel Rimini is an elegant historical landmark. During its existence of more than 100 years, the hotel has seen celebrities like aristocrats, Nobel Laureates, politicians and kings. The legendary hotel was an inspiration for Federico Fellini from his childhood years. When he grew up, Fellini became a friend of the owner and used to spend a good deal of time there. As told by the owner of the hotel, one of Fellini's hobbies was sitting in the lobby and watching the work of telephone operators. The pink facade and the gorgeous Neoclassical interiors with their mysterious atmosphere were many times featured in the films of Fellini.

Walking Tours in Rimini, Italy

Create Your Own Walk in Rimini

Create Your Own Walk in Rimini

Creating your own self-guided walk in Rimini is easy and fun. Choose the city attractions that you want to see and a walk route map will be created just for you. You can even set your hotel as the start point of the walk.
Rimini Introduction Walking Tour

Rimini Introduction Walking Tour

Sitting on the Adriatic coast of Italy in Emilia-Romagna region, the ancient town of Rimini – originally known as Ariminum – has been around for centuries, dating back as far as the times of Julius Caesar. Following WWII, Rimini's rich historic heritage was on the verge of disappearing as most of the city lay in ruins. Luckily, many of its ancient monuments have been restored to the...  view more

Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.4 Km or 1.5 Miles