Church of Panagia of Platsani, Santorini (must see)
The Church of Panagia Platsani was originally constructed inside the walls of the Castle of Oia. The church was moved to its current location, the village center, and was rebuilt on higher and more stable ground following the earthquake of 1956. The place of worship is dedicated to the Akathist Hymn of the Most Holy Theotokos. The building is white-washed and features a blue-dome and arched windows.
The place of worship came into existence when the townspeople decided to build the cathedral at its previous location to honor the icon of the Virgin Mary that was found in the sea by a fisherman. After much struggle, the fisherman, along with the priest and fellow parishioners brought the icon to the church.
The icon moved the following day, by phenomenon, from the church to the castle. Each time, the citizens returned the symbol to the church, it moved back to the castle by miracle. It was then that the townspeople decided to build a place of worship where the Virgin Mary had placed the icon. Today, the Virgin Mary overlooks the sea where her spirit can bless all vessels and its passengers. The church contains many tributes to sailors and other residents of the town.