Santa Cruz de Tenerife's Historical Buildings, Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Santa Cruz de Tenerife's Historical Buildings (Self Guided), Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Santa Cruz de Tenerife provides history enthusiasts with many sites located in the city’s historic center for perfect sightseeing. Grand Guimera Theater, Parroquia de la Concepcion, Palacio de Carta and other gems are among them. The Tenerife capital preserved its historical structures in magnificent condition. On this self-guided walking tour you will visit the most important historical buildings in the city center of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
How it works: Download the app "GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities" from iTunes App Store or Google Play to your mobile phone or tablet. The app turns your mobile device into a personal tour guide and its built-in GPS navigation functions guide you from one tour stop to next. The app works offline, so no data plan is needed when traveling abroad.

Download The GPSmyCity App

Download 'GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities' app for IOS   Download 'GPSmyCity: Walks in 1K+ Cities' app for Android

Santa Cruz de Tenerife's Historical Buildings Map

Guide Name: Santa Cruz de Tenerife's Historical Buildings
Guide Location: Spain » Santa Cruz de Tenerife (See other walking tours in Santa Cruz de Tenerife)
Guide Type: Self-guided Walking Tour (Sightseeing)
# of Attractions: 10
Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 2.8 Km or 1.7 Miles
Author: Sandra
Sight(s) Featured in This Guide:
  • Parroquia de la Concepcion (Church of Immaculate Conception)
  • Teatro Guimera (Guimera Theatre)
  • Palacio de Carta (Charter Palace)
  • Iglesia de San Francisco de Asís (Church of St. Francis of Assisi)
  • Circulo de Amistad XII de Enero (Circle of Friendship XII of January)
  • Parroquia de Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Parish of Our Lady of Pilar)
  • Templo Masónico (Masonic Temple)
  • Iglesia de San Jorge (Church of San Jorge)
  • Iglesia de San José (Church of San Jose)
  • Almeida Castle and Military Museum
1
Parroquia de la Concepcion (Church of Immaculate Conception)

1) Parroquia de la Concepcion (Church of Immaculate Conception)

The Church of the Immaculate Conception is not the Cathedral of Tenerife. That honor goes to the Cathedral of La Laguna. However, the Church of the Immaculate Conception does have five naves. No other church in the Canaries has five naves. The church is built over a chapel erected by the conquistadors when they landed on the island.

Inside the church is an image of Saint James the Apostle, patron saint of Santa Cruz de Tenerife. The church holds a relic of martyred Pope Saint Clement I, donated by the Patriarch of Antioch. There is also a 15th century Gothic image of Our Lady of Consolation, patron saint of Santa Cruz de Tenerife.

The style of the church is both baroque and Tuscan. The bell tower, the stand out identifying marker of the church, closely resembles a minaret.
2
Teatro Guimera (Guimera Theatre)

2) Teatro Guimera (Guimera Theatre)

Teatro Guimerá is the oldest theater in the Canary Islands.

Founded in the 19th century. The first known as Teatro Municipal de Santa Cruz de Tenerife, first built in 1849 by the architect Manuel de Oráa and in classical-romance style, it was first opened two years later on January 1851, it underwent several works in the interior decoration in 1888 and other occasional improvements in 1895, 1899, 1901, 1905 and in 1908 and accommodated largely in the ending of the conclusion of the original project of Oráa.

It underwend important works of modification in 1911, headed by Antonio Pintor, and it took two years to complete. These works saw a total renovation and the structute as well as the outside of the building were intact. Since 1923, after the death of Ángel Guimerá, the theatre was named in honor of a Tinerfeño dramaturgist.

The building which had been done for 150 years, the theatre provided many actors and actresses, ballets, orchestras, musical companies, congresses have taken place. Between these events it forms a part of the Canary Islands Music Festival.
Sight description based on Wikipedia.
3
Palacio de Carta (Charter Palace)

3) Palacio de Carta (Charter Palace)

Palacio de Carta belongs to Plaza de la Candelaria in the city center. It was a significant building in the city in the 18th century. It was built in 1752 by the order of Matías Rodríguez Carta as a residence for military commanders. Then it was a government administration office and a bank headquarters. The structure represents a mixture of Baroque and Neoclassic styles. It has a couple of interior courtyards typical of the region. This 3-storey building features balconies, a façade in quarried stone, a clock on the third level and a pediment. The site of Palacio de Carta received the status of Place of Cultural Interest in 1947, and was the first protected building in the Canary Islands.
4
Iglesia de San Francisco de Asís (Church of St. Francis of Assisi)

4) Iglesia de San Francisco de Asís (Church of St. Francis of Assisi)

Iglesia de San Francisco de Asís (Church of St. Francis of Assisi) is located in Plaza del Principe in the city center. Originally the church was the Franciscan convent. Today it is a Catholic temple. The building of the church took place in the 17th and 18th centuries. It is made in Island Baroque architectural style, and has three naves. The front of the Church of San Francisco features two Corinthian capitals at the entrance with the image of Nuestra Señora de la Soledad (Our Lady of Solitude) above it.

The sanctuary has figures of La Inmaculada of the 19th century, San Francisco de Asis, Santo Domingo of the 17th century, the Master of the Ordeals, and more artifacts of religious and artistic value. Parroquia de San Francisco is one of the most important religious buildings in Santa Cruz de Tenerife.
5
Circulo de Amistad XII de Enero (Circle of Friendship XII of January)

5) Circulo de Amistad XII de Enero (Circle of Friendship XII of January)

This grandiose white-blue edifice is located at the intersection of José Murphy and Ruiz de Padrón streets, adjacent to Plaza del Príncipe. This amazing building planned by Mariano Estanga was completed at the beginning of the 20th century. Its architectural style is Second Empire style of the Canary Islands. The facade is decorated with multiple white sandstone sculptures and small intricate decorations, as well as flags. The images are works of Edouardo Tarquis and Teodmiro Robayna. Circulo de Amistad XII de Enero hosts cultural events like plays, films, exhibitions and so on.
6
Parroquia de Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Parish of Our Lady of Pilar)

6) Parroquia de Nuestra Señora del Pilar (Parish of Our Lady of Pilar)

This parish church is located in the historical and commercial center of the city. It was conducted by missionaries headed by Father Claret. The temple was constructed in the 18th century. Its structure comprised one nave and a chapel. Two side chapels were added later. The historic meeting of the local manufacturers took place here just after Nelson’s attempt of invasion in 1797. Santa Cruz got the status of Exempt Town that led to its subsequent growth. The most known treasures of Iglesia del Pilar are the Baroque chancel table and the statue of the Virgen de las Angustias.
7
Templo Masónico (Masonic Temple)

7) Templo Masónico (Masonic Temple)

This refined building was constructed at the turn of the 20th century for use by the Masonic lodge. Now it belongs to Town hall. The Temple is located halfway down San Lucas Street. The figures of two sphinxes guard the entrance. The facades feature Egyptian motifs symbolism, a massive triangular pediment, two etched columns near the entrance and an entrance door with carved geometric patterns. It is regarded as one of the major Masonic temples in the country.
8
Iglesia de San Jorge (Church of San Jorge)

8) Iglesia de San Jorge (Church of San Jorge)

Iglesia de San Jorge (Church of San Jorge) is situated on Calle Viera Y Clavijo, near Plaza de los Patos. The former Anglican Church was built at the end of the 19th century. Its structure features the Latin-cross plan, lancet openings, cross-gabled roof and cut-stone façade. Inside the church the traditions of the Anglican architecture are also perceptible in the design of its nave and aisles, wooden framework and multiple wooden elements, as well as stained–glass windows.
9
Iglesia de San José (Church of San Jose)

9) Iglesia de San José (Church of San Jose)

The parish church of San Jose is located in the northern part of the city. The impressive structure features arched openings, a portico entrance guarding the two-sided campanile, apartment houses in its wings and on the back side. Its architectural style can be referred to as Baroque and Tuscan. The temple possesses an important bibliographical heritage. These are folios and missals in Latin from the 18th and 19th centuries, that were used for divine services to the Council.
10
Almeida Castle and Military Museum

10) Almeida Castle and Military Museum

Regional Military Museum is located in the historic Almeida Castle completed in 1884 occupying the Almeida quarter, in the northern part of the city.

In 1854, the construction of the Fort of Almeyda was decided, and on April 21 the engineer colonel Clavijo y Plo presented his project, approved on September 22 of that year, starting the work on November 6. In 1884 the work was terminated, although by then it no longer had much military value, due to improvements in artillery techniques and population growth.

To the west it has a fort that dominates with its fires a small valley formed by the mountains that rise in its vicinity. It belongs to the Vauban system , its semicircular plan being closed by the diameter with the main facade, with two floors. To the east there is a single-storey corrugated front and a battery was built on the upper esplanade; to the north another crenellated front and three casemates with two floors; in the west three single-storey casemates and in the gorge the defensive barracks.

The Military Museum (Museo Militar) was founded in 1988 and is one of the best Canarien cartography research centers, and a great depository of armaments and objects invoking the military history of the islands, with respect to the successful defence of the city. The most referred exhibit items are the El Tigre (The Tiger) artillery-type weapon and a scale replica of the flagship Theseus. There is also an exposition dedicated to the life of Admiral Nelson, a collection of flags as well as early paintings by Canarien artists. Museum hours: Tuesday - Friday: 10 am - 3 pm; Saturday - Sunday: 10 am - 2 pm.

Walking Tours in Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain

Create Your Own Walk in Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Create Your Own Walk in Santa Cruz de Tenerife

Creating your own self-guided walk in Santa Cruz de Tenerife is easy and fun. Choose the city attractions that you want to see and a walk route map will be created just for you. You can even set your hotel as the start point of the walk.
Santa Cruz de Tenerife Introduction Walking Tour

Santa Cruz de Tenerife Introduction Walking Tour

There is archeological evidence indicating a civilization two thousand years ago in the area where Santa Cruz stands today. The indigenous people were the Guanches. The island of Tenerife was called Anazo. The famous Mummy of San Andres is an excellent silent witness to those long-ago times. Before the Spaniards there were kingdoms.

On the third of May in 1494, Castilian soldiers commanded by...  view more

Tour Duration: 2 Hour(s)
Travel Distance: 3.3 Km or 2.1 Miles